Monday 28 November 2005

S L A D E Day!

After months of waiting, at last it's S L A D E Day!

Accompanied by Chris (in case I got too emotional), we took the long trek to the HMV shop on Oxford Street, having dismissed Virgin as having crap windows insufficiently glam to host the sacriment of a SLADE DVD. Walked into HMV and turned right to look at the 'new' racks and what did I see? O yes! There, on the bottom shelf, was the DVD and a bit further down the row was the CD, again on the bottom shelf. Hopefully they'll both work their way up the shelves hierarchy as people buy them as the week progresses into more prominent places, but I'm pleased they were on the 'new' shelves at all (so many don't make it).

Having been patient all day, I make it home, slip in the DVD and curl up on the couch to worship at the shrine of SLADE and I wasn't disappointed. About two thirds of the DVD is the old 'Wall of Hits' video from the '90s, followed by the 'Set of Six' live set and then another six TV show appearances for different singles not already covered. I love it! Particularly the live set - that shows what a great band SLADE were, working the audience, energetic, the three front-men bounding over the stage and putting on a show without fancy lighting or tricks - they did it for real! And seeing the clothes... o dear! But who cares? It was fun at the time and would be again!

The CD is also excellent, with the big hits on Disc 1 (mainly from the '70s, of course, but 3 biggies from the '80s as well) and lesser hits and rareties (such as an excellent version of 'Born to Be Wild' from Reading 1979) on Disc 2. The joy is overflowing. The CD booklet includes some good photos of SLADE at their peak and the sleeve notes are almost an extended homage to Chas Chandler, their manager who died in the mid '90s. That's a lovely gesture. Chas was a member of the Animals in the '60s and managed Jimi Hendrix, so he knew class when he saw and heard it.

I'm very pleased with the DVD and CD - I've waited long enough for them! But, naturally, I want more. I want the rumoured 'SLADE ALIVE!' DVD to be issued NOW and I want a CD of the 'B' sides please. Pretty please? That's not too much to ask is it? After all, I believe in miracles...

1 comment:

redhairedqueer said...

There's a half page interview with that Noddy Holder in Time Out this week, you know!

I'll give it to the Voisey on Tuesday, if you can wait that long!!