Saturday 26 November 2005

The Golden Age of Hustlers Returns

Went to see Justin Bond and the Freudian Slippers this evening at Too2Much and thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly the Bambi Lake songs and the chatting inbetween songs. He should record it - a great selection of songs including Kate Bush's 'King of the Mountain' and three early Bowie songs. Even got part of Marianne Faithfull's 'Why'd Ya Do It' in during the enchore (I suspect some people didn't know the song since there was a bit of giggling at the rude words...).

My favourites were the Bambi Lake songs, all excellent, all slightly dribbling bodily fluids and drugs, beautiful people gone to the dogs and transvestitism and drugs creating a haze around the lyrics. I particularly liked 'The Golden Age of Hustlers', a glamourously sad tale. I blogged about Bambi and her world a few months ago after I saw his previous show at the Soho Theatre - for some reason those songs do it for me!

The Princess was, of course, right up front and I admired her tie...

Too2Much is an interesting venue, full of skinny people (both staff and punters) with little spatial sense or awareness of anyone except themselves. Most odd. Not as odd as the New York punk night at the Great Eastern a couple of years ago, but odd nonetheless. I just can't understand why so many people needed to go to the toilet during Justin's set - it's not that long really. And in some cases the same guys went two or three times... has something happened to the bladders of men under 35? Perplexed by that!

And before that went for nosh with Chris to Melati (lovely Indonesian food) - it passed my vegetarian choice test with flying colours.

2 comments:

redhairedqueer said...

Please write out one hundred times -

I must not call Justin Bond
Julian
I must not call Justin Bond Julian ...

Owen said...

Oh Gawd...