Saturday 26 November 2005

A Lad Insane

How foolish am I? What have I been missing?

I've picked up 'Aladdin Sane' in record shops and put it down again thinking, 'not yet' times beyond count. There are some CDs that ought to be in every collection (or at least the collection of anyone who lived in the '70s) and this is one of them, but you don't have to have them all now.

I ordered it on Amazon last week and picked it up from the Post Office this morning - wow what an album! Not a duff track on it! I was bouncing round the room to 'Panic in Detroit' earlier (not sensible for someone with a dodgy back) and now I'm playing it again. Haven't heard that song in xx decades! "I wish someone would phone... I screamed and smashed my favourite slot machine...". Other classics on this record have been included in various compilations over the years, but not 'Panic' and I lurve it! Wonderful drumming and soaring vocals with a background sense of menace - great track indeed.

Now, obviously, I have the vinyl (in my Dad's attic) - didn't we all get this record in the '70s? I think I prefer it to 'Ziggy' (which I've had on CD for yonks) so I'm not quite sure why I didn't get this as well until today. It's a more mature and confident record with a fuller sound. I am a happy bunny.

Oh, and while I'm in 70s mode (again) my S L A Y E D badge finally arrived yesterday. I will wear it on Monday when I go to HMV to demand 'The Very Best of SLADE' CD and DVD from the first sales person I see. I am a happy bunny indeed!

No comments: