Thursday 10 November 2005

NYC5: The Art

There is much Art to be seen in New York, both indoors and outdoors. You can look at it, sit and walk on it and, of course, wear it. Great monuments and the less than great, wonderful paintings and sculptures. The city itself might be seen as one great big work of Art. Here's a selection of the Art I appreciated.

I'd never been to the Museum of Modern Art before so, now that it's back in Manhattan from its sojourn in Queens, I had to see it. I was mightily impressed by the new building which is in itself an architectural marvel, all clean lines and carefully planned spaces. Very enjoyable wandering round it and in places you get great views of the other floors of the building which makes for an impressive sight. The Art is, of course, superb as well.

The first couple of floors house the more 'modern' works and installations which, I have to say, leave me rather cold. One of the installations was a bank of about 50-odd portable TVs with videos running of domestic scenes which was interesting enough, but one of them was switched off - is this part of the Art? or was it broken? who knows. I'm a bit old fashioned, really, and prefer my modern art to be older than me...

A highlight for me was Picasso's 'Girl Before A Mirror' which is a wonderful piece of swirling colour. I also much appreciated his 'Les Demoiselles d'Avignon', groundbreaking work. Works by all the greats were on view and it was a privilege to see them in front of me after seeing them in books for so many years - the size often surprises as well.

MoMA has a fab shop as well, not just full of cards and books and prints, but also a range of kitchen implements, toys, Christmas decorations and general arty stuff. I quite fancied some Mondrian inspired tumblers but there's a limit to how much breakable stuff I can carry on the plane home!. I did, however, get a wondrous Japanese rainbow scarf, a 'Random Stripe Shima Scarf' by Tomoji Matsui, made of genuine soft 70% acrylic (with 30% wool) yarn in, as the blurb says, "a smooth pattern of random stripes with fringed edges. Dry clean only." It is so me. I ore it to the theatre one night and I was that spot of colour on Broadway! Everyone else was in oh so trendy black and I outshone everyone by miles! It will need a suitable event for it's official unveiling in London.

Also went to the Guggenheim for the first time, an interesting building for those with skateboards and wheelchairs... Built as a spiral with the paintings lining the walls and in small-ish galleries to one side of the building, it's an interesting experience, but I prefer the new MoMA building. The main exhibition consisted of works from Russia over the last few centuries and was titled, strangely enough, 'Russia'. It was interesting to see the progression of art over the centuries, most of it being obviously influenced by European work. The thrill for me was seeing the Kandinsky's and Chagall's, particulary 'Blue Mountain' with it's gorgeous, glowing colours (that don't really come across in this picture) and soft organic shapes. A wonderful painting that I'd have on my walls any time. I like it.

There's outdoor Art in New York as well, of course. Times Square is a modernist installation if ever there was one and the Empire State Building is a classic seen from the top of the Rockefeller Building. Hotels done out in art deco, Grand Central, the Chrysler Building (as seen from the hotel room window, of course) and a host of other sights. At least I now have my own piece of New York art in my scarf! And, of course, my little see through plain plastic Statue of Liberty that lights up and glows reds and blues when it's switched on. So tasteful.

No comments: