Tuesday 1 November 2011

Queen Boudica

The other morning I took a leisurely route to work by getting the bus. My bus goes over Westminster Bridge and, because I sat on a different side of the bus than I usually sat on, then I had a different view of the Thames and the statues on either side of the river. I passed the statue of the mighty Queen Boudica (or Bodiecea) with her arms raised high in anger and pride and might and her horses charged into war. And my heart swelled.

Boudica, a mere provincial queen, took on the might of the Roman Empire and came so close to winning. A woman to inspire Victoria and Empire. Should we be ashamed of the pure nationalism of the statue on the north bank of the river? I say no. Two thousand years ago Boudica was my queen.

Boudica was queen of the Iceni and, when her husband died, the kingdom was annexed under Roman rule, she was flogged and her daughters raped. Is it any surprise that a queen would seek revenge and a return of pride?  Stupid Romans.  Boudica raised an army and destroyed the then capital of Roman Britain, Colchester, before heading to London and then north to fight the usurping Romans. She ultimately failed but she was a bright light in ancient Britain.



We know very little about Queen Boudica but I choose to believe the legends. If you get down to the river then look out for her.  You'll hear her charriot racing towards Parliament as a modern day rebel.

No comments: