Monday 7 November 2011

Let It Grow/Beard Love - 'Hair'

The version of 'Aquarius' by The 5th Dimension popped up on my iTune shuffle this evening and that created a yearning to hear the real version by the cast of 'Hair' so I played it. And I am now listening to the whole cast recording. As is right and proper.

I saw 'Hair' on my birthday on Broadway in 2009 on the eve of snowmaggedon. I wanted to see it because Alex Harvey played in the Hairband in London in the late 60s. I was stunned by it, great fun, great messages and great love. I was at a be-in and got a love flower all without leaving my seat. My one regret is not getting up on stage to join in the love-in at the end of the show. When it transferred to London with most of the Broadway cast I made a point of seeing it and dancing on stage as often as I could. At one performance when I'd joined the cast on stage Woof said that he liked my beard which was a truly great compliment.

I saw Gavin Creel (who played Claude) at the Jazz Cafe last year doing a show of his own songs. Caissie Levy is currently playing the lead in 'Ghost' in the West End and is well worth a visit. Some of the original cast are still touring the show in America. I can't help but think it'll be a sad day when the show finally closes. We all need some optimism in our lives, some hope and joy. And some hair!

No comments: