Thursday 3 November 2011

Viv Albertine on Pledgemusic

Viv Albertine. Do you know who she is? For shame if you don't, for she was a Slit and will always be a founder member of The Slits in the late 70s. Viv shone bright and then vanished for years, only to reappear a couple of years ago and start a Pledgemusic campaign to raise funding for her to record and release some new music, a solo album. I, obviously, pledged.

Viv has the Pledgemusic ethos at her core. She sends us updates every few weeks about what she's doing, what she's writing and who she's working with. Today she sent a lengthy email about recording with Jack Bruce - yes, *that* Jack Bruce. It read like an excited fan having met a hero and having that hero exceed every expectation. That's what I like about Viv - she's real. She emails about a tee shirt she got from Johnny Thunder and about a particularly good gig the night before. That's important. She involves us pledgers in her life and being a fan means we get a little bit of her even though it's at a distance.

Viv released a four-track EP last year called 'Flesh'. My favourite song from the EP is 'Never Come' that has the classic line, 'And I loved Marc Bolan because of all his curls'. I defy you to make a more generation-defining statement than that. We all loved Marc's corkskrew hair.

I am really looking forward to Viv's album. I'm also looking forward to seeing her play live some day. I keep missing her London shows but I will see her. And I will clap loudly. I might not pogo like in the olden days, but I'm sure she'll understand.

Make a pledge for Viv here - what do you have to lose?

No comments: