Friday 23 September 2011

'South Pacific' at The Barbican v2

Last night I bathed in the joy that is 'South Pacific' at The Barbican for the second time, this time celebrating the 82nd birthday of a little old lady who likes whisky and ginger (who, oddly enough, sat in seat 29, the year of her birth).

I love this musical, it speaks to me in music and words and it makes my eyes go moist every now and then. There's something magical about those chord sequences and those words that make me respond whether I want to or not. I saw this production at the Lincoln Center in New York in 2010 and then again at The Barbican a month ago and decided I needed to see it again while I could. So we did.

I was very impressed with it, particularly with Samantha Womack who has clearly grown into the part. Her voice has strengthened and her accent was impeccable - who'd have thought she was in 'EastEnders'? The cast is largely the same, with the same energy and joy spilling off the stage into the audience. I smiled, I laughed and I cried to those wonderful songs and touching story.

It's on for another week at The Barbican and then goes on tour. If you get the chance, do go and see it. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: