Sunday 18 September 2011

John Martin: Apocalypse Is Coming

There's going to be a rare exhibition of John Martin paintings at the Tate Britain with the homely title of 'Apocalypse'. There's even a short video trailer for the exhibition that isn't what you might think it is - take a look. A title and a video like that can only raise expectations, so I hope you live up to it Mr Tate.



I first came across John Martin back in the 70s in the Laing Gallery in Newcastle which has two nice pieces permanently on show - 'The Bard' and 'The Destruction of Sodom & Gomorrah' - both on an epic scale and both madly romantic and over the top. This exhibition is in partnership with the Laing so I'm expecting them to be part of the show. That means they'll also be in the glossy brochure that accompanies the exhibition so I'll finally be able to get a good quality reproduction of the paintings.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing this exhibition which is just along the road from where I work. I shall take an afternoon off over the autumn and indulge.

No comments: