Friday 16 September 2011

Pink Floyd? No Thanks

Y'know, sometimes you've just got to say 'enough is enough'. This much I can take and no more. Well, I actually switched over to watch Newsnight (yes, *Newsnight*!) tonight to avoid being corrupted or just plain annoyed. I went through the punk wars to fight against this.

What am I talking about? O yes, Pink Floyd night on BBC4. All I ask is 'why?'.

I watched the documentary - I'm a music fan and want to understand all sorts of music. I had to switch over when the 'video' programme started, though, when the third song threatened to go on forever. I'm a fan of the three minute pop song, not a ten minute dirge (I delete them from my iPod if any sneak on). Now, good on the Floyd lads for their early ambitions of trying to do something new with music - I can appreciate that - but self-indulgent nonsense isn't fun at all. At least not for me.

And we had Bob Geldoff talking about their greatness to justify their inclusion in Live 8 - Bob, be honest, you just thought they'd sell tickets or whatever. Your job is to raise money, why is it is a problem to say that?

Anyway, all I can say is thanks for the memory Pink Floyd, I don't own any of your records and don't intend to, but at least you're part of the grand melange that is pop music. I'm sure there are lots of people out there that love you, but I'll stick to pop stars, thank you.

No comments: