Friday 13 May 2011

Shelby Lynne at Cadogan Hall

I’ve been losing track of time here and falling behind with my blogging. It was shocking to realise that seeing Shelby Lynne last Friday at Cadogan Hall was actually my first gig of the year. It’s already May and this is my first live gig...

Shelby was excellent – I won’t say ‘fun’ since some parts of the performance were quite heavy, but she gives good show, does Shelby, and she has a lovely voice. But – and please pay attention Shelby – you’re too thin, you need a few good meals and a glass or two of wine (I somehow think that will be acceptable to you) and some pudding to feed you up. We’ll take you out for a slap up meal the next time you’re in London.

Anyway, Chris introduced me to Shelby when she was last in London three years ago at the Royal Festival Hall with a full band, whereas at Cadogan Hall it was just her on guitar plus her guitarist, very stripped down and bare and, you know what? I liked the sound. She has a lovely voice and the stripped down arrangements worked really well, almost hearing them as she composed them. The set covered her career with a few songs from here and few from there. One song sounded very early Michelle Shocked but I loved her two Dusty Springfield covers, with her pure voice soaring and the audience giving her the big ovation. Quite a few of the songs were from her latest album, ‘Tears, Lies & Alibis’ which is definitely worth listening to.

I admit to really enjoying the show and I’d like to have a drink with Shelby some time, I think she’d be very entertaining. The audience was definitely of the older persuasion, which I don’t quite understand, but they gave her a couple of standing ovations which is a good thing.

No comments: