Tuesday 17 May 2011

Patrice Holloway Compilation

You need to know that one of the great, lost soul voices of the 60s will finally have a retrospective album released, compiling her songs from yesteryear, most of which haven't been available before. Yes, my fellow admirers, Patrice Holloway is finally awarded her own album! And I love that photo on the cover.

Patrice sadly died a few years ago but this is a fitting tribute to her. You might not know her name, but you've probably heard her voice at some point, either through singing in the Josie & The Pussycats cartoon series or the many artists she sang backing vocals for (including Buffy Sainte-Marie). Or you may have heard her work covered by other people - she co-wrote 'You've Made Me So Very Happy' with her sister and that song's been covered several million times in the last 40 years.

Patrice's sister is, of course, the lovely Brenda Holloway who I had the honour to meet at the Divas of Motown spectacular in 2009. I got tongue-tied and shy (naturally) but she was most gracious. I have a photo of us together as proof but I'm not posting it on here. It's *mine*.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the record from Patrice, to have her work collected in one place and, I assume, re-mastered to boot. If you know what's good for you, you'll take a listen to it and then buy it. I will.

No comments: