Sunday 10 April 2011

'Frankenstein' at The National Theatre

Saturday afternoon was an opportunity to shelter from the sun at the matinee performance of 'Frankenstein' at the National Theatre. It stars Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch alternating at the creature/Victor Frankenstein and we were lucky enough to see Jonny in the role of the creature. I hadn't expected him to be 'born' naked and stay that way for over five minutes on stage - that's the second unexpected willy I've seen on stage in the past few weeks (the other was in 'The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore' in New York) and I don't need to see any more, thank you.

The production is spectacular (and directed by Danny Boyle), with props and scenery rising out of the stage or falling down from the ceiling every few minutes, plus rain on the stage and a fire emerging to one side - you never know what might happen next. In that respect, it reminded me of 'Spider-Man', with an enormous budget being spent on the extravaganza on stage. 'Frankenstein' even had a fantastic train that ran on tracks on the stage, belching out steam and sparks and a cast that gave us a short song and dance number. What it was meant to be is anyone's guess but I loved it. And I think that sums up my view of the play - spectacular but where was the play?

I found it rather slow and ponderous, rather thin on characterisation and I didn't really care for any of the characters. The only time I felt any sympathy with the creature was near the end when he says he's been taught to lie by humanity. It's clearly written from the point of view of the creature and we see him slowly evolve speech, physicality and intellect. The slow start got some pace and it started rollicking ahead with snap scene changes from Geneva to Scotland and the glacial North Pole, all with equally nice scene changes.

I think the production is sold out but if you get the chance, go and see it. I thought the play was rather thin but the production is spectacular.

No comments: