Thursday 21 April 2011

Elisabeth Sladen

By now everyone must know that Elisabeth Sladen has died at the tragically young age of 63. Lis played Sarah Jane Smith in 'Doctor Who' for many years in the 1970s and again in the latest incarnation of the series over the last few years, as well as in her own series of 'Adventures'.

I grew up with 'Doctor Who' in the 60s and 70s and, for me, the classic period was the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker years and Sarah Jane was companion to both Doctors. Her tenure coincided with my early teenage years and when I think of companions the only ones I can really remember are Sarah Jane and Leela (the warrior woman played by Louise Jameson). It was a delight to see Lis reappear as Sarah Jane in an episode of the re-invigorated 'Doctor Who' a few years ago and prove so popular that she got her own spin-off series. And, of course, the faithful K9.

It's strange how some people linger in the memory. I never met Lis and don't remember seeing her in anything else on telly but as soon as I saw her reappear in 'Doctor Who' I knew who she was. And was pleased to see her again. In part it's because I grew up with her on telly every Saturday evening for so long and her portrayal of a common sense and very sympathetic character has stayed in my mind.

It's sad when anyone dies at an early age and Lis touched so many lives. I hope her family can draw some comfort from seeing all the attention paid to her passing and the love and sadness expressed. Bye Lis!

No comments: