Monday 4 April 2011

Ooops Florence

I've just realised that I've blogged six days worth of New York and haven't really told you anything about my trip to Florence in February. If you want to see Renaissance art then you either head for Florence or Rome and I chose Florence because of the San Marco monastery and it's glory of Fra Angelico paintings. I love Fra Angelico/Brother John/Fra Giovanni/Il Beato Angelico so it had to be Florence.

But, in Florence I also saw the wonder that is Giotto and his frescos in two chapels in Santa Croce. I couldn't help but blurting out that 'he invented art' to Chris as my eyes went moist. I also saw the colourful beauty of Gozzoli's 'Journey of the Magi' at the Medici Palace, a tiny space for such a big fresco that is so well known.

There is so much beauty in Florence - and so many American tourists - that I would happily go back to become more familiar with the art works. It's not all in the Uffizi y'know, although the first corridor galleries are magnificent. Art really does transport you to magical realms.

We also found the poshest conference space in the whole world in the Medici Palace, full of see through plastic chairs that wouldn't disturb the view:


The ceiling of the Baptistry beside the Duomo:


The cathedral (Il Duomo) and Giotto's bell tower:


The two chapels painted by Giotto, side by side, at Santa Croce:


Neptune striding through Renaissance Florence:


The Ponte Vecchio from the Uffizi, with Vasari's Corridor running from the side of the Uffizi and over the Ponte Vecchio:


The bridges of Florence taken from the south side of the green River Arno:

No comments: