Tuesday 27 April 2010

Hair 3 - Gielgud 2

Tonight we went to see 'Hair' again, the second time at the Gielgud Theatre on Shaftesbury Avenue, and it was tres fab.

The special treat was that Sasha Allen was on, playing Dionne - she was off when we saw the show in New York and again when we saw it a couple of weeks ago - and she gave it good voice (I particularly liked 'Aquarius' and 'White Boys'). The disappointing news was that Gavin Creel (who plays Claude) was off tonight. His understudy was Kevin Kern who made a good fist of it, but he has a noticeably more 'theatrical voice' than Gavin. Nevertheless, he did the role proud.

Will Swenson was on top form as Berger and, unfortunately, when he was introducing himself the people next to our seats had just arrived so they were the butt of one of his jokes. Serves 'em right, too. Mind you, Berger is a bit disgusting, since he and Sheila copulated at the end of our row in the stalls during one of the songs. It was obviously his doing, not Sheila (who is nice). Yes, I *am* biased.

I love the way the cast use the whole theatre as their extended stage, running off the stage and into the stalls and up into the circle at the drop of a hat, including climbing over the front rows of seats in the stalls. Mind you, they're probably just trying to escape the heat from the banks of lights that hover over the stage - it's hot up there.

Tip #1: If you want to be fondled by a hippy sit near the aisle - you might even be given a flower.

Tip #2: If you don't want to interact with a hippy sit in the middle behind Row K, otherwise you're not safe.

I will be booking my next tickets at about Row F in the aisle....

Caissie Levy was (as ever) great as Sheila, Democracy's Daughter, Kacie Sheik was touching as Jeanie and Allison Case was lovely as the love-lorn Crissy. I also enjoyed Andrew Kober as Margaret Mead (cross dressing with baggy Y-fronts) and Megan Lawrence as Buddhadalirama (such a shame she burns to death). Darius Nichols is a sex god as Hud (who crawled out to row K in the stalls during 'Hair') and Luther Creek is growing on me as Woof. I like Hud's line about the Vietnam war being when 'white men send black men to kill yellow men for a land they stole from the red man'.

Of course, at the end of the show I was forced (forced, I tell you) to go up on stage and dance and clap and wave. It's hot up there. At the end I got a hug from Allison Case and a pat of the back from Kacie Sheik, as, out of breath, I made my way back to my seat to grab my jacket and bag. Phew! And here's the view from the stage... >>

Y'know what? I think I might just have to see it again... I missed the Be-In at the draft office and don't think my draft card burned properly. I also forgot to yip up the sun and forgot to levitate a government building so I probably need to stay in for an extra tutorial or two.

Go and see it - it is life and joy and sorrow, live it, be it and grow your hair, maaan!

No comments: