Monday 19 April 2010

'Alice In Wonderland' at The IMAX

I had my first experience of The IMAX last night when we went to see Tim Burton's 'Alice In Wonderland'. It's the biggest screen in the UK and I can well believe it, but it's square rather than letterbox so I don't know what that does to the film.

We saw the 3D version of the film, with big 3D spex and it was nice to see things poking out of the screen at me every now and then but every so often it looked like the lead character in the scene was standing in front of one of those "3D hologram" cards which rather takes away from the experience. Chris pointed out that it wasn't filmed in 3D so maybe that's the reason why it doesn't always work. And you know what? I'd quite like to see it again in 2D.

Johnny Depp was great as the rather sad Mad Hatter and Helena Bonham-Carter was perfect as the perfectly awful Red Queen - nice to see them together again so soon after 'Sweeney Todd'. It was full of British theatrical and screen names and I was both astonished an delighted to learn that the Dormouse was voiced by Barbara Windsor. The range of talent alone makes me want to see it again.

I enjoyed it but, sometimes, the effects got in the way of the story. But see it anyway - it's worth it for Johnny's Hatter at the least.

No comments: