Friday 16 April 2010

The Tyranny Of The Sock

OK, so when did you sign it then? Y'know, the form you must've signed to follow the crowd. It was probably a multi-page carbon thingy and, ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and accept that you didn't know you were signing up to some life-long, life-sapping deal. After all, you were probably quite young and could well have been influenced in your choices by your parents. But when, exactly, did you sign the form that said you would only wear matching socks?

Now, I can't remember actually signing up to this. So I no longer feel bound by it. That's the kinda guy I am.

I know they (the mysterious *they*) only sell socks in matching pairs but why limit yourself to a matching pair? How dull is that? Even if you wear fluorescent green socks, it's still a matching pair of fluorescent green socks. Mix and match a bit, show your individuality with the colour and pattern combinations you discover. The only thing to be wary of is mixing different materials - one wool sock and one cotton might lead to hot-foot syndrome and, let's face it, you probably don't want that.

So, yesterday, I wore one green sock and one yellow sock to see 'Hair', along with my lovely green boots. Today I wore caramel-coloured shoes with one pink sock with blue toes and heel and one yellow sock with green toes and heel. I shall experiment with colour and pattern next.

Unfortunately, people did not notice my radical anti-matching-sockism at work today so I eventually had to explain my new campaign. Join me?

No comments: