Sunday 18 April 2010

The Dresden Dolls at Patti Smith's Meltdown 2005

While checking out Richard Thompson's Meltdown schedule at this years' festival on the Southbank I found this video of the 'Stand Bravely Brothers' concert as part of Patti Smith's Meltdown in 2005. It was a celebration of the songs of Bertold Brecht and featured various singers including Patti herself along with Marc Almond, Sparks, the Tiger Lillies and others, plus The Dresden Dolls.

This was the first time I'd ever seen or heard of Amanda Palmer and Brian Viglione and I'm well pleased I was there that night. After the show The Dolls played a free gig in the open space in front of the bar at The Royal Festival Hall, opening with the glorious 'Good Day' and featuring many of the songs from the first album as well as a beer-swilling 'Amsterdam'. After the show I bought the Dolls CD (on 8ft Records, since this was pre-Roadrunner) and met Amanda for the first time when she signed it for me. Sigh...

Scroll in to about 4:40 to hear the thunder of Brian's drums and Amanda start singing 'The Soldiers Wife'.

No comments: