Thursday 9 October 2008

Marc Bolan - The Celebration Concert DVD

In September 2007 Marc Bolan would've been 60 if it hadn't been the 30th anniversary of his death. In other words, the perfect opportunity for a celebration gig at Shepherd's Bush Empire which I attended (see my commentary of the event here). I knew the event was being filmed but I only found out that the DVD was actually available by accident so I don't know how long it's been out.

I haven't watched the DVD yet - that's scheduled for the weekend - but the packaging is good, a nice clean cover with retro '70s lettering. Inside is a booklet with some text about the event and photos of everyone involved. The odd thing is that Shakin' Stevens doesn't seem to be included, which is strange to say the least. I've never been a Shakey fan but he won big respect at the event for bringing some much needed professionalism to the stage and doing a killer version of 'Chrome Sitar'. Why he's not on the DVD or in the booklet is a mystery - maybe the reason is explained in the DVD?

The DVD includes performances by Marc Almond and Gloria Jones (they sang 'Tainted Love' together as well as Marc's over the top glam dup versions of T.Rex songs including 'Dandy In The Underworld'), Clem Burke, Linda Lewis ( great version of 'Children Of the Revolution'), Dr Robert and others. And of course, T.Rexstacy was on stage for virtually the whole event providing the musical backing as well as leading on some songs (I'm, seeing them at Shepherd's Bush again in December as part of the Merry Xmas Everbody Tour with Slade).

I know what I'm doing at the weekend... (now, where did I put that silver glitter?).

No comments: