Friday 17 October 2008

Levi Stubbs

I heard the sad news today that Levi Stubbs has died, aged 72. Levi sang lead vocals on all those fabulous Four Tops songs from the '60s - 'Reach Out, I'll Be There', 'Bernadette', 'Standing In The Shadows Of Love', 'I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)' and so many others.

I don't have many musical memories of the '60s but the Four Tops feature in one of them. I recall being bundled into the car to drive to my Dad's sisters' house in Wardley where my five cousins lived, all girls and mostly 5-10 years older than me. One liked Tom Jones and played his records endlessly, and two of them loved the Tops. I remember hearing 'Reach Out' and 'Bernadette' played several times and that memory's stuck with me. I have no idea what the year was, probably late '60s I should think.

Until the last few years I only had a few Four Tops songs on Motown compilations but I've been exploring their music more recently. And I'm so pleased I did - so many great songs and Levi's great voice shining out front. Play a Tops song tonight in tribute to Mr Stubbs.

No comments: