Sunday 12 October 2008

Hellboy II

It seems likes ages since I've been to the pictures so we took advantage of being in the West End to see one of the last screenings of 'Hellboy 2' before it vanishes from the big screen. I didn't really have any expectations of it other than lots of cartoon violence and special effects and I wasn't disappointed.

I liked the sub-text of another world of magical beings existing alongside our world that we simply can't see (and a troll market under Brooklyn Bridge) but the film didn't really explore this and moved quickly from one special effects laden fight sequence to another. Naturally, I enjoyed it! Who wants to think when there's a goody and a baddy slugging it out on screen while everything around them gets trashed? And it's set up nicely for another sequel when Hellboy becomes Helldad.

The thing that did surprise me is that Luke Goss - yes, from Bros - plays the main baddy, the elf prince, and he was good, if totally unrecogniseable!

No comments: