Sunday 26 October 2008

Linda Lewis at The Jazz Cafe

The legendary Linda Lewis was playing a couple of nights at The Jazz Cafe in Camden so it was mandatory to attend. I was a bit of a fan of Linda back in the mid-70s when her strange brew of folk, jazz, soul, rock and (later) disco made her a voice to listen to, starting as a singer-songwriter and morphing into disco queen with 'It's In His Kiss'. Linda has also worked with virtually everybody who was anybody and (as Chris keeps reminding me) did the background screeching on Bowie's 'Panic In Detroit' (one of my favourites). She also knew Marc Bolan and delivered stonking versions of 'Children Of The Revolution' and 'Metal Guru' at the Bolan celebration last year (now available on DVD so you can enjoy her performance live). So, getting tickets was essential.

I've seen Linda three times before and heard her twice. I saw her leave the stage door at the Royal Festival Hall after The Funk Brothers gig a few years ago where she must've been a back-stage guest. Someone asked 'are you Linda Lewis' as she left, she said 'yes' smiled and kept on walking and people standing there all stood with mouths open in amazement. I saw and heard her at the Soul Britannia concert at The Barbican that was recorded by the BBC for telly at the start of 2007. She only sang two songs but it was a great thrill just seeing her after all these years. Then I saw her again at the Bolan celebration a year ago where she was one of the highlights of the night, helping to bring the event to life and add some sparkle.

Linda walked on stage wreathed in smiles and the most gorgeously elaborate and colourful silk jacket the world has ever seen (it deserved a round of applause itself) and opened her mouth for those high notes and those deep, deep low notes (she has a wide range). She did a nicely paced set with music from across her career and some nice friendly chatter in-between songs showing her cheeky sense of humour that kept us all smiling, a consummate professional. About two thirds of the way through the band left the stage and Linda picked up her guitar for a couple of solo acoustic songs. That was a nice touch, reminding us of her beginnings as a folkie troubadour.

My favourite songs were those from the olden days, that I remember from sitting in my bedroom with the record player - 'Rock A Doodle Doo', 'Remember The Days Of the Old School Yard', 'My Grandaddy Could Reggae' (re-named 'My Grandaddy Could Calypso' for the evening with calypso beats) and, of course, 'It's In His Kiss'. She did excellent, extended versions of 'Reach For The Truth', 'Old Smokey' and 'Sideways Shuffle'. She also sang a lovely song I hadn't heard before, 'I Keep A Wish' ('I keep a wish under my pillow, I sleep on it at night...'). It was great hearing those songs live but the real thrill was having Linda right there in front of me singing for me after 30 years. How time flies.

And Linda was fun on that stage, laughing and joking with the audience, pogoing across the stage and grasping us in her small hand and not letting go until the end and she came back (in a peacock styled jacket this time, for you fashionistas out there) for the encore. She saluted us a with a glass of red wine and, when the band were late coming back on stage after her acoustic set, said they were probably sharing a spliff outside. I was smiling and singing throughout and left with the glow of having seen someone special (yes, in full-on fan-boy mode). I've seen Linda Lewis play a full set after all these years ... wow!



No comments: