Wednesday 21 May 2008

Thumpy Thump

I'm sorry to go on about The Dresden Dolls new album but it really is good. I want to go on record to say that I *need* to see the punk cabaret ragamuffins play 'The Mouse And The Model' live. Amanda is being gorgeous and teasing singing, 'If you did it say you did it, if you didn't suck it up and say you did' (I love that line) while plonking away on the keyboard, but it's a tour de force by Brian on the drums.

Brian is a great drummer, has played with Nine Inch Nails and in Jesse Mallin's band on the last tour. He feels music. He knows when to touch the cymbal and when to thrash it. He's an artist. And I love his drumming on 'The Mouse And The Model'. Whenever I hear it I want to go into head banging, arms thrashing drum mode, arms flailing all over as I join in with Brian's manic drumming. There's so much drum on that song that you could be forgiven for thinking it's multi-tracked but it isn't. That's how Brian Viglione plays. He's a drum god.


Incidentally, if you want to hear the song - or the whole album - then you could scoot over to the Virginia Archives site and listen to it. If you like it then buy the album. In fact, buy the album anyway - it's your duty as a human being.

No comments: