Thursday 29 May 2008

Four Bands in One Night

Tonight I saw the magnificent Maximo Park in concert in the venue with the stickiest floors in London, the Forum in Kentish Town. It took an age to get home to the other end of the Northern Line so I thought I'd wind down by giving you a potted review.

Much to their credit, the Maximos don't have a record or DVD to promote, this was a one-off charity gig to support The Royal Marsden Hospital and the No-Surrender charity for young people with cancer. Worthy causes and good of them to put the gig together, with all profits going to the two organisations. It was a four-band line-up, starting with...

Pete & The Pirates: now, anything involving pirates gets a thumbs up from me (I still haven't decided whether to be a pirate or join a circus when I grow up) but I wasn't entirely impressed with the band. It's a five-piece band and, let's face it, no band needs four guitarists. They struck me as indie-by-numbers, trying different styles and sounds for half an hour on the off-chance that one style might work. They were entertaining enough but, unless they up their game, I wouldn't bother seeing them again.

Blood Red Shoes: I first saw the BRS supporting the Maximos last year and then supporting Siouxsie this year. I *like* the thump-thump-twangsters and they did a great set with some of my favourites from the new album. And for the first time, they were actually lit properly so I could see them clearly. Laura-Mary was in a nice grey frock and black stockings but I admit to wincing to see that she wasn't wearing shoes on stage - bad girl, you might tread on something out there! Steven was in tee shirt and jeans banging away on the drums as usual. They opened with 'It's Getting Boring By The Sea' and played 'You Bring Me Down' and 'I Wish I Someone Better', two of my favourites. They also played for half an hour and ended with Steven standing on his drums and part demolishing them - so rock n roll! I liked 'em and so did most of the audience, so that's a good thing.

Mystery Jets: while a lot of people around me (generally of the younger persuasion) seemed to enjoy the Mystery Jets I thought they were pretentious tripe. Any band that sets out three sets of keyboards and then only use them for the first song, after which they switch to guitars, deserves derision. The sound mix was awful, I couldn't hear what was being sung and it seemed like they threw everything possible into every song - how many kitchen sinks do they own? I coined the phrase 'progressive indie' watching them - they reminded me of early '70s progressive rock more than anything. Half an hour was purgatory. And for some obscure reason Laura Marling joined them on stage to sing one verse of their last song and then left, followed a few minutes later by the rest of the band since that really was their last song. A bit shambolic and not in a good way. Moving on ...

Maximo Park: Magnificent. Godlike. Heroic.

Me Geordie Lads were great (obviously). I think this is the 6th or 7th time I've seen them live and it always feels like such a privilege to see them play. They're a great live band and it was totally scary to see the huddled masses below on the floor bouncing and pushing one way and another whenever the lights shone on them (I sensibly was sitting in the second row of the balcony). Paul is an excellent front-man, whipping up the audience and keeping the excitement at a peak. I don't understand why he wears the bowler hat though - it must be very sweaty in that hat after the first couple of songs. He jumped all over the stage, wiggled his hips, leapt from Tom's drum podium arms and legs akimbo, ran from one side of the stage to another, bounced along with Lukas at his keyboards. He makes me feel tired.

The Maximos played for an hour (finishing at 11.20pm, hence the long trek home) and it was mainly a hits set (which is fine by me) with the addition of *new* songs! They played two new songs, one a romantic piece and one, called (I think) 'Tanned' which caused a big grin to appear on my face. Dunc has discovered 'Electric Warrior'! The guitar riff wasn't a rip-off or anything but it instantly took me back to early T.Rex circa the 'Electric Warrior' album and it works perfectly. There were also hints of psychedelia in the song and if this is the direction for the new album then it's going to be fab! I loved it! I don't think any of them of them were born when 'Electric Warrior' was released but I was and I think Marc would approve. I really hope that song is on the new album - it's excellent!

The gig ended with 'Apply Some Pressure' during which some twat got onto the stage and somehow ended up with Paul on the floor before the twat was pulled off and bounced into the wings and Paul could finish the song. It was all over in a few seconds after which Paul immediately went to the front of the stage to stand on the monitors to show he was ok and I hope he really is ok and doesn't find some odd aches and pains tomorrow when the adrenalin has worn off. Why do people do that?

Anyway, the Maximos won hands down on quality of songs and performance, they were great. You really must go and see them if they play a venue in your area since they're immense fun live. Now I just need to wait for the new album...

No comments: