Tuesday 20 May 2008

More Records

So, ok, I went to HMV yesterday to get the new album from The Dresden Dolls (and pretty damn wonderful it is too) but did you think that was all I bought? How little you know me...

After snatching my copy of 'No, Virginia' from the new release shelves I headed downstairs to check on the Buffy Sainte-Marie records. The last time I was in HMV and dutifully went down to tidy up the Buffy records I found a new one so who am I to scoff? Sadly there were no new Buffy records yesterday. But ...

The Buffy wires have been a-buzzing with the news that three of Buffy's early '70s albums - 'Buffy', 'Changing Woman' and 'Sweet America' - will finally be released on a double CD at the end of June. It's showing on Amazon as a pre-order but there's no information about it, whether it's remastered or anything, but that's good news anyway. Now all we need is a release date for 'Running For The Drum', Buffy's album of new material, some of which I heard her play when I saw her at the Highline Ballroom in March.

'Little Dreamer' by Beth Rowley

Beth's first album is finally out. I first saw Beth last year at the Bedford Bandstand supporting Kiki Dee and was most impressed with her voice. I saw her again a few weeks ago at her first headlining gig at Bush Hall and I'm even more impressed with her voice. She has a sort of soul, bluesey, jazzy voice, a big voice that easily goes up and down the scale, very versatile and flexible. What I didn't realise is that she co-writes most of her songs. She can certainly out-sing the current crop of 'new girl singers' but it looks like she's not being pitched against them and not heading for the singles chart. She's signed to Universal Music Classics and Jazz and that suggests she's being groomed for a long-term career rather than a few quick hit singles and then obliteration.

This album will reward repeated listenings, probably late night listenings, and the songs will grow on you. There's a great selection of songs, very mature songs, all of which are perfect for Beth's voice which is always to the fore. About half of the album has been available for download from iTunes for some time (the 'Violets' EP and two follow-up singles) so it's nice to hear the new songs.

Favourites are 'Oh My Life' which reeks of sunshine, the reggae-ified version of 'I Shall Be Released', 'You Never Called Me Tonight' and 'When The Rains Came'. The only mistake seems to be 'Angels Flying Too Close To The Ground', a duet with Duke Special - if someone is being sold on their voice why include a duet, and a relatively poor one at that? Seems daft and it's the weakest track for me.

Give it a listen if you get the chance, it's class stuff.

'We Started Nothing' by The Ting Tings

I'm new to The Ting Tings but saw them on Jools a few weeks ago and loved the new single, 'That's Not My Name', so thought I'd grab the new album. It's a good record, very 'now' and very 'young', full of energy. On a first listen, I like it, but I'm not sure it'll survive repeated listenings.

The music is minimalist, reliant on rhythm and beat with some interesting lyrics thrown over the tunes . The record includes the previous single, 'Great DJ' (was that targeted at getting radio play?) as well as the current one, and all the tracks sound like they're potential singles. I like it and they seem to have hit 'now' but I can't help wondering whether I'll listen to this album in a years' time? But does that matter?

'Shut Up And Let Me Go' opens with a blatant Chic guitar rip-off which sounds fabulous. Something that I do find a bit irritating is the London/Essex 'estuary' glottal stop appearing in the vocals when she's from the North West. Please don't.

'All Things Must Pass' by George Harrison

OK, so the old 'ippy in me is emerging. I bought the vinyl back in 1974 or '75 and liked most of the songs (except the 'jam' sessions). I bought a couple more albums and then Johnny Rotten and Poly Styrene came along and it was 'bye bye George'. Lennon still had some cred, but not George. I got his 'best of' in the '90s and quietly enjoyed it. Then he died a few days after my Mam and the radio was full of 'My Sweet Lord' and it took on a different meaning. I've been looking at this album for months now and not bought it because of the price (£21) but it's got a third knocked off at the moment so thought I'd indulge. I haven't listened to it yet, but I will.

'Ask Me Again' by Nancy La Mott

Chris introduced me to Nancy, a cabaret singer who died a few years ago, and 'Ask Me Again' is her latest posthumous album. It came out when we were in New York so I should've got it there on the cheap, but I've bought it on import prices for, essentially, one song, 'No One Is Alone/Not While I'm Around'. I love her version of this song and I'm not ashamed to say it brings a tear to my eye. She has a lovely voice and a wonderful way of interpreting songs. She was on the verge of greatness so it's lovely to hear these songs and think of what might have been.

No comments: