Tuesday 6 March 2007

'Rocket Cottage' by Steeleye Span

OK, this might not be the most obvious genre of music for me to blog about, but I do like a bit of the old Steeleye Span now and again.

One of the records I've rescued from my Dad's attic is 'Rocket Cottage', not one of their most popular recordings but one I like. Both as a series of individual songs and as a collection it works for me as 'electric folk'. Some of the songs seem very 18th Century and others are quite timeless.

Favourite songs include 'London' with the wonderful chorus of:

'London is a dainty place
A great and gallant city
All the streets are paved with gold
And all the folks are witty'

Of course, anyone who lives in London will recognise the truth behind those words.

'Fighting for Strangers' is a stark anti-war song from yesteryear when healthy young men are enticed to take the King's shilling, go off to war, become maimed and have to beg for an existence when they return home. It's odd that the latest adverts for the army seem to be stressing the 'keep fit' aspect to attract new recruits with no mention of Afghanistan or Iraq.

Another favourite (which doesn't seem to be available on CD compliations as far as I'm aware) is 'The Brown Girl' who is good enough for the young squire to play with but not good enough to marry. I like the chorus of,

'I'll dance upon your grave for twelve months and a day
I'll do as much for you as any maiden may
I'll make you rue the very day that you were born
I'm a bonny brown girl'

You tell 'im Maddy!

I'd love to see them live, or one of Maddy Prior's solo shows. I understand that Maddy's ill at the moment so I must see their/her next tour. They're quite a joyous band if you listen to them and Maddy has one of those distinctive and powerful voices that redefines what 'vocalist' means.

No comments: