Monday 12 March 2007

Plastique Bag

MySpace

Can I be honest and say I don't understand MySpace?

I've had a profile for ages (how do you think I get my inside information on Amanda, Brian and the collective Dresden Dolls?) but I haven't really done anything with it other than to sign up to a few blogs. I don't like things that you've got to put some effort into. I sometimes get emails saying so-and-so in Philadelphia or Hong Kong or the moon wants to be my friend and I ignore them (ha! that says it all for friendship!). There's nothing on my profile so why on earth would they want to be my friend?


What are you supposed to do with it? Answers on a postcard, please...

Real Records

Don't know about you but I always prefer real records to downloads. I think that's quite odd in a way. I want to have all the artwork, and the booklet, and the lyrics and all that sort of stuff, but I don't look at them after I first buy the record. I like the physical presence of music in my hand. I'm not entirely sure what digital really is other than a form of witchcraft.

There's also the extended network of having something physical rather than digital. I love browsing round record shops - you never know what you might find and who you might meet. I accidentally saw the Buzzcocks play live last year when I went into HMV to fill in some time. Or even if you buy online there's always the trip to the post office to pick it up at the weekend, so it's still a (sort of) social experience. Downloading is so limiting in that respect.

It's like yesterday when I downloaded the Maximo's new single because I want it now (instant gratification is something we learned in the '80s) but I'll still buy the hard copy next Monday because I want the 'B' sides and artwork and whatever else comes in the package. Fans have responsibilities as well as privileges.

I do download stuff of course. I didn't want to buy a Status Quo CD, just wanted a few of the big hits from the '70s, so I downloaded four tracks from iTunes. I wanted the new Kim Wilde record so, rather than pay £16 for an import version I downloaded it for £8 (I'm listening to it at the moment actually). In any case, you need to 'back up' downloads in case the poota crashes.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I'd rather have hard copy.

Spectaculars

I need new glasses. Badly.

Record Bag

I want to do the Record Bag thing at the Retro Bar on Thursday but I'm wrestling with myself as to what to play. I know that for most people this is easy - just grab five CDs as you leave home - but my DJ sets are all carefully thought through.

My first set was made up of songs from 1972, then 1973 and then from 1974. All carefully chosen and in theme. Then I did a Buffy Sainte-Marie set because I wanted to. Then I got over the ultimate hump of 1975 when music really wasn't going anywhere. Yearly themes are too limiting so I want to explore other areas. I've had a 'boredom' themed set ready for ages now but I'm wondering whether I ought to go for the 'I'm playing this record cos I like it today' theme so I can play me Geordie lads ...

O gosh, this is so difficult...

Regina Spektor

Regina seems to be someone you either love or hate - except me cos I can't quite make up my mind. Amanda Palmer is a big fan and I can understand that but I can't quite make up my mind about her. I'm listening to 'Soviet Kitsch' at the moment and I'm enjoying it but I can't quite see where she's going ... if you see what I mean.

I'd quite like to see Regina live - that would fill in the gaps for me - but I've just missed her at the Astoria so I don't know how long I'll have to wait for the next tour.

No comments: