Monday 26 March 2007

Plastique

A bit of a bag for you this evening.

The N'Betweens

As all right thinking people know, SLADE started out as the N'Betweens in the '60s but here's a photo of them I'd never seen before (courtesy of 7digital and Gary's Glam Blog) advertising one of my favourite early songs, 'Delighted To See You'. It's a great track but, unfortunately it's not on any of the recent batch of re-issues. It would've made a great extra on 'The SLADE Box' or on 'Beginnings/Play It Loud'. The lads look so young but it's also nice to have some stability in this world of constant change - Dave still had daft hair even back then!

I still haven't heard anymore about the Wimbledon gig in July ... I might need to worry shortly.

Penis Extension

What's the old saying about men who buy flash cars? I've shamelessly copied this photo from Michael's blog to demonstrate the lengths men go to in LA to prove their virility - why else put some pendulous bollocks on the back of your car? Is the owner of that particular vehicle subtley saying he's well-endowned or sadly lacking? I couldn't help but chortle when I saw it. Go and read Michael's account on his blog.

Last 10 iPod

The last ten tracks played on my iPod were:

I Put A Spell On You - Nina Simone
Twisted - Annie Lenox
Betrayal Takes Two - Richard Hell & The Voidoids
Mighty Quinn - Lulu
Old Before I Die - Robbie Williams
Soul Limbo - Booker T & The MGs
Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me - Gladys Knight & The Pips
Keep The Line Movin' - The Soundtrack Of Our Lives
Everyday People - Sly & The Family Stone
European Female - The Stranglers

What a strange and magnificent beast is the iPod shuffle. I wouldn't dream of putting those songs together ordinarily but it's nice to hand over control of the music I hear to my little white and silver machine every now and then.

Those Maximo Scalliwags

Well, there's certainly been some scalliwagishness going on! First of all I hear they played a secret gig at Popstarz on Friday night and then, last night, I find the 'B' sides to their new single on Napster when they're not available on iTunes. The Maximos have issued the new single in three formats - CD single and two different 7" vinyl versions whith different 'B' sides. There's no mention of where to download the 7" 'B' sides but an absent browse on Napster found 'em! I downloaded both tracks at 79p each but then received a bill from Napster for £11.04. Eeek. Needless to say, I've queried it! But at least I have the new songs by me Geordie lads.

They also played on C5's 'Transmission' on Friday night (although I assume that was pre-recorded). They were fabulous but the programme was a bit rubbish. Dodgy, shaking camera work (I thought those experiments were left behind with The Tube decades ago) inarticulate presenters that appeared to think taking too many drugs is a laugh (what message does that send?) and having the bands behind railings or whatever obscuring all views except close ups. Loada tosh! But it was nice to see the lads.

4 comments:

gdpreston said...

I love Soundtrack of Our Lives - saw them at a gig in the intimate 93 Feet East down Brick Lane and he was wonderful in all his Hagar the Horrible meets Brian Jones-ness.

Really wanted to see Maximo Park with support from Art Brut on this tour, but missed getting tickets - have had to settle for just Art Brut in June instead.

Owen said...

I'm seeing the Maximos *twice* in May.

Michael Coscia said...

Thanks for the blog mention... I find those truck "ornaments" to be so embarrassing. I think they epitomize the "ugy American." I promise they'll never hang from my axel. I like to think I find validation elsewhere. LOL!

Talia said...

I'd love to see Art Brut this year finally. Btw Maximo at Popstarz was fully advertised, it wasn't secret!!