Friday 9 March 2007

Dead Rock UK

I was meadering my way down the High Road and realised that I was delighted that SLADE are alive. I know that's an odd thing to say but so many of their contemporaries aren't and bands can't get back together because one or more are missing in action but all four original noize boize are still around. That makes me happy because, you never know, they still might get together again for one last blast. I wish they would.

I've already planned their reunion gig for them so all they need do is turn up and be wonderful (and think of the pension plan, lads). It's not a lot to ask, is it? It would be filmed for DVD posterity, of course. And the 'Ultimate SLADE Alive' live album. And TV appearances. And signings. They have an incredible legacy that's not really being managed. Where are the promotional activities around the current re-issues?

This thought popped up, in part, due to 'Dead Rock UK' by James Whild Lea (one of my favourite songs from his new album - it ought to be a single). It's about his heroes and friends who have died over the years from rock excess or illness or accidents. It starts with him singing the chorus before exploding into wild guitar thrash and rock godhood:

Jimi Hendrix, Beatle John
Mercury and Moon are gone
Mr Bolan, Brian Jones
What a shit you're dead and bones


And, as the guitar fades at the end, the last words bring a tear to my eye, 'See you later guys...'

Not for a long time I hope.

Jim has a thing for Marc Bolan and refers to him as Telegram Sam in 'Radio Wall Of Sound' (SLADE, 1991) and a photo of Marc flashes on the screen in the video. I like that he's refered to as 'Mr Bolan'. I like that nod of respect. They were rivals in 1972 and then SLADE wiped the floor with everyone in 1973. And Marc died in 1977 just as he was starting to get things together again. What would he be doing today if he hadn't made that last journey, I wonder...?

And Sweet? Andy Scott still tours (and I'd like to see him) but Brian died from excess many years ago and Mick died of cancer. Steve lives quietly in America. The Sensational Alex Harvey Band? Alex left us long ago but the Sensationals still play together under Zal's leadership (another band I'd love to see again). Mud lost Les Grey years ago and, sadly, Dave Mount before Christmas last year (Rob Davis co-wrote Kylie's 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' a couple of years ago so it's good that he's still active and - I suspect - very rich!). And o so many others...

SLADE ALERT! Thursday 26 July at Wimbledon

The No. 57 bus better be on time. SLADE are alive in Wimbledon!

This isn't the original noize boize, of course, it's Dave and Don's SLADE. But I'll be there, o yes I will. I don't know where they're playing yet, this news is fresh off the SLADE wires. Please don't change it. I was distraught a couple of years back when they were scheduled to play Croydon and then switched the gig to Tunbridge Wells...

Dave Hill offered me a B&H cigarette back in 1981 and I mumbled a shy 'no thanks' - I smoked back then but how does one accept a tab from a god?

No comments: