Monday 6 November 2006

SLADE - "Crackers"

Another SLADE re-issue has sneaked out. Much as I hate moving this blog away from the delightful Dresden Dolls, you need to know about this CD.

'Crackers' is alternately known as 'the Christmas album' or 'the party album' - in this case, it's definitely Christmas. It's been released several times before and I have the previous Christmas version, where the cover shows the lads reflected in baubles on a Christmas tree - 'SLADE's Crazee Christmas'. It's partly 'greatest hits' and partly Christmas songs, 16 tracks in all with an odd track listing from 'When I'm Dancin' I Ain't Fighting' to 'Here's To The New Year' via 'Cum On Feel The Noize' and 'Mama Weer All Crazee Now'.

The new version has 11 tracks mainly focusing on the seasonal side including SLADE's (live sounding) version of 'Do They Know It's Christmas (Feed The World)'. I've only listened to it once so far, just a quick run through, and I won't listen to it again until December (Christmas starts far too early these days) but it'll definitely find it's way onto my iPod on 30 November. The sound quality is better than the earlier versions of the album so it's a welcome addition to the SLADE library. It doesn't seem to have been promoted yet (and HMV isn't stocking it) but maybe it's just waiting for the Christmas market to really start?

I'm not keen on the cover though - looks a bit cheap to me. I prefer the lads on baubles and Noddy bellowing 'Merry Christmas' at the top of his considerable vocal power... Now, *that’s* Christmas!

No comments: