Wednesday 15 November 2006

'Poly Styrene' by Pennie Smith

I went to see the portrait of Poly Styrene by Pennie Smith in the National Portrait Gallery at lunchtime today. The photo isn't on display and it's not on the NPG website so I was intrigued, asked if there was any way I could see it and was surprised to be welcomed with open arms. An appointment was made to view the photo. I feel strangely honoured.

The photo is black and white and has Poly standing in a street leaning against a big poster hoarding with a ripped poster advertising Polyfilla (ahem) with a brick surround. The photo is 16" x 11" and Poly is probably only about 6" so she's dwarfed by this big Polyfilla poster. She's wearing a light knee-length polka-dot dress with a jacket and white sandals, a tassley scarf wrapped round her head, a lunchbox as a handbag and the Poly knowing smile that seems to say 'I know what I'm doing and I'm having fun'. Pennie Smith had signed the photo at the bottom.

'Poly dressed as her mam?' was my first thought. Possibly. She could have borrowed those clothes from her mam. But I think she was being Poly. Every other punk girl at that time - with the obvious exception of Siouxsie - would probably have worn a little micro mini skirt so Poly does the exact opposite and wears a knee-length frock.

I was only there for a few minutes. The photo was ready and wating for me in the public viewing room of the archives (courtesy of Clare, the Helpful Archivist). I looked at it, I smiled, I said 'thank you' and I left. I was happy.

No comments: