Monday 20 November 2006

Love and 'Babes and Tee Shirts

I invested in 'Love' today, the 'new' Beatles album, or at least the new remix by George Martin and his son. I invested more than money. I invested excitement, hope and some long-lost naivity in it, my pre-1977 self. That was where I went wrong. Or at least, on two listenings, I think I went wrong.

An online chum referred to it as a mix tape - a good one, but still a mix tape. I find it incredibly frustrating in places where it only plays a chorus or a verse of a song and then moves onto something else or (even worse) just ends. On the other hand, I love the mix of some of the tracks, such as merging 'Within You Without You' with 'Tomorrow Never Knows' works incredibly well for me and 'Revolution' is the fast, hard rock version I like. I suppose we're all different, with our own favourites and we'll all like different parts of this album.

It does beg the question 'why?' though. Why do it? Someone's had great fun with photoshop in the booklet as well. The whole thing - the music and artwork - is very psychedelic and that's rather odd, really. Tune in, drop out and make lots of money by milking something for all it's worth. Why not re-master and re-issue the existing albums rather than trying to 'create' a new one?

More listens might make me more loved dup, let's see, shall we?

But the 'Babes, now there's an album! It was on the shelf in HMV at Victoria Station beside 'Love' so I just had to buy it. The Sugababes 'The Singles Collection' is excellent (and, I am slightly ashamed to say, more exciting than 'Love'). I love it, a great collection of catchy tunes, even the few that I don't recognise are fab. Buy it! I might need to invest in the DVD...

I'm not a great tee shirt wearer and I never have been (not sure why not, but I prefer an open shirt at the neck) but sometimes one must invest, even if only to wear at the gym. There are laws about these things. I nearly fell foul of the law last week - luckily I invested wisely and in time and avoided ending up in prison by purchasing a wonderful SLADE tee shirt. And what a dashing model I would've made - just look at that classic catalogue pose ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to quite like Sugababes, but now I'm all into PUSSYCAT DOLLS!!

chrisv said...

Don'cha...