Sunday 10 June 2012

Maxïmo Park - 'The National Health' in Heaven

Maxïmo Park have returned and are firing on full throttle, with gigs and a new album, 'THe National Health'. I went to see the lads at Heaven in London on Friday night and a good time was had by all, including, from the looks of it, the band up on stage.

Heaven is not one of my favourite venues and it turns into a nightclub later in the evening, so bands need to be off and out in good time. In this case, the Maximos said their goodbyes about 10:05pm after playing for a solid 1:20 minutes, playing loud and bouncy music that made me happy. They opened with 'The National Health' and 'Hips and Lips', both from the new album, 'The National Health' and that got us off to a great start. They've been streaming the album on their website but I've studiously avoided listening since I wanted to hear the album for the first time through proper speakers but they brought a smile to my face immediately - this is the Maxïmo Park I fell in love with.

The set was a good mix of songs from the new album as well as favourites from the last three albums. We were given 'Girls Who Play Guitars', 'Questing, Not Coasting', 'Limmasol', 'By The Monument', 'Graffiti', 'The Kids Are Sick Again', 'Parisian Skies' and a whole lot more. The main set ended with 'Our Velocity' and the encore with 'Apply Some Pressure'.

The lads looked really comfortable up there on that small stage and Paul even managed a jump-kick without kicking the others in the head (which was a feat). I felt so proud of them. The sound was good and the lights were excellent, adding punctuation and emphasis to the songs without taking over the set. Naturally, I forgot my camera but here's a photo I found online taken from about where I was standing to give you an idea.


The new album, 'The National Health' is released tomorrow, Monday 11 June, but was available for download from Amazon today so, of course, I downloaded it. It's a great mix of out and out punky-pop songs and pure pop, happily bouncing along with some killer riffs and lyrical turns. It even has a *slow* song. Yes, I said a slow song - 'Unfamiliar Places' - with the refrain of 'Don't be scared of the life you're living... making decisions on your own'. It's lovely and reminded me that the first album was about growing up and leaving home and this has altogether more adult themes, with more darkness invading our lives as we grow older but with space for joy as well.

It's a great selection of songs with something there for everybody. Give it a listen. The deluxe edition includes an additional disc with acoustic versions of songs and videos so I know what I'll be buying tomorrow.


No comments: