Sunday 3 June 2012

Panda Eyes

If you mention 'panda eyes' to me then I think of three things: 1) pandas, 2) Dusty Springfield, and 3) Gaye Advert (Black).

Gaye Black is part of a new art exhibition titled, 'Pandamonium' at the Signal Gallery. It was the Signal that hosted the small but fascinating 'Punk & Beyond' exhibition curated by Gaye Black last year so it's nice to see Gaye involved in another exhibition there.

I've said it before (and will probably say it again) but in the punk late '70s everyone loved Gaye Advert. Before Debbie Harry there was Gaye Advert. I suspect she hated being the poster girl for punk but at least she was never seen in anything other than a tee shirt and leather jacket. And, of course, her panda eyes.

Here's one of the grown-up Gaye Black's artworks in the exhibition - I love the pirate symbolism:


No comments: