Monday 7 May 2012

Buffy Sainte-Marie at Meltdown 2012

Buffy Sainte-Marie is coming back to London in August to take part in Anthony Hegarty's Meltdown season on the Southbank. Meltdown is an annual season across the venues on the Southbank where a famous musical name curates a series of events - Bowie, Patti Smith, Morrissey and loads of others have curated over the years. Anthony has somehow persuaded Buffy to come back to these shores for not one, but TWO, events. Morrissey invited Buffy to play in 2004 but she was too busy at the time (she told me so when I had the honour of meeting her in 2005) so it's nice that she's able to make it this year.

Buffy will do an 'In Conversation With ...' session at the Purcell Room in the Queen Elizabeth Hall on 6 August. It'll be good to hear Buffy talk about her life so I hope whoever is doing the interviewing will have done their homework and not simply ask banal questions.  On the other hand, if they do ask obvious questions I suspect Buffy will extend her answers into more interesting territory anyway. There's always an opportunity for the audience to ask some questions at these affairs so I will need to think up something a bit unusual to ask if I get the opportunity. I might ask about this cover of the NME in 1976 before they found punk. I probably bought it!

There will also be a concert on the main stage at the Queen Elizabeth Hall the following evening on 7 August. That is the site of Buffy's return to London in 2008 - I was in the audience that night and met her afterwards. I don't know whether Buffy will be solo or with her rockin' band but we'll find out.

The tickets for both events go on sale tomorrow to Southbank members (which I am, phew!) and generally later in the week. I aim to be at both events. They are, of course, slapbang in the middle of the London Olympics so I'll be in my London Ambassador uniform which isn't the ideal clothing for a gig but at least I'll stand out in the audience in the pink and purple design.

There's also a good interview with Buffy in this month's 'Record Collector' magazine in which she confirms that she'll be collaborating with Sandi Thom on 'The Big Ones Get Away' from Buffy's 'Coincidence And Likely Stories' album. I assume that's for Sandi's next album which is due out in late summer so that'll be some new Buffy music to look forward to.

Looks like it's going to be a good summer for Buffy fans!


No comments: