Sunday 20 May 2012

Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra - 'Do It With A Rockstar'

The first single from the newly rocked-up Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra is 'Do It With A Rockstar'. Amanda shared it with Kickstarter backers on Friday and then let it loose on the world today to anyone who signed up for her email list - isn't she generous?

It is a magnificent blend of... of ... of everything that's magnificent! It has the knowing seriousness and humour of 'The Jeep Song' wrapped up in glam pomp with thunderous drums and guitars and synth in there somewhere. This is not the Amanda of ukulele simplicity, this is a rockstar at the peak of her art, confident, powerful and unafraid.

"Do you wanna dance?
Do you wanna fight?
Do you wanna get drunk and stay the night?"

But then we hear all sorts of excuses from the suddenly reluctant fan who has pets left alone all evening, who needs to charge their phone and check messages, who has a DVD about swinging in the 70s to watch... I'm terribly unimpressed with this so-called fan who has the chance to do it with a rockstar.

Mind you, the rockstar seems a bit too keen and needy as well. 'Wait, wait, wait... I'll be fine in a minute' says the rockstar who comes to terms with the fan not wanting to jump in the sack and bemoans his/her loneliness. Life is tough at the top.

I lurve this song. The first time I heard it my face broke into a giant smile as I gently rocked along to it, then I listened to it again and again and again... I want to see a video. I'm looking forward to seeing Amanda play it live at the acoustic session on 18 June (at the Art Show) and in full rock out mode a couple of days later at the Rock Show. 


Listen to it here:

No comments: