Friday 18 May 2012

Donna Summer

I was sad to hear the news this afternoon that Donna Summer has died.  I was listening to my Donna playlist only last week, a playlist with her 'best of', 'Bad Girls' with all the 12" versions and 'Crayons' (her latest album from 2008). I bought 'Bad Girls' back in the day, the double album in gatefold sleeve with Donna as the tart with the heart posing and seductive. That album stands up well today, a class album from a class act.

I've always liked Donna's voice. She was incredibly versatile and powerful and, although she'll always be labelled as 'disco' she was so much more. She wouldn't have lasted so long if she was solely a disco singer. I've just looked her up on EveryHit and she entered the UK chart 29 times between 1976 and 1996. That's impressive by any standard. I bet you can't name them all - I couldn't.

I first noticed Donna with the groundbreaking 'I Feel Love'. OK, that amazing, never heard before sound came from Giorgio Moroder, but Donna was the voice and face of that song and she sold it. Would we have heard it without her fronting it? I don't think I'd ever heard anything like it and she deeply impressed my 17 year old younger self.

The next song that made me sit up and pay attention was 'MacArthur Park' with her ecstatic screams livening up those odd lyrics. Whenever I hear it I remember being 18 again and it takes me back to the Oranges & Lemons pub in Oxford and its eclectic jukebox. Inbetween banging out The Sex Pistols, The Clash and X-Ray Spex that jukebox also played 'MacArthur Park' by Donna and 'Love Don't Live Here Anymore' by Rose Royce.

The following year I indulged in 'Bad Girls', which, looking back, is clearly her grand masterpiece of an album. She was on top of her game with that record.  Then we had the classic singles of 'No More Tears' with Barbra Streisand, 'State of Independence' and the lovely 'Dinner With Gershwin'. And loads of others of course.

Then she released 'Crayons' just a few years ago, her first new album in 17 years, and the voice was still there along with the creativity.  I still listen to it and enjoy it, the different styles of music and Donna's voice.

Farewell Donna.You live on in my record collection and my playlists, in my memories and in my youth and middle age. I am always 18 when I hear 'MacArthur Park'. Farewell Diva.

No comments: