Saturday 17 July 2010

I Am A Purple Magnet

I bought a linen purple shirt for my holiday in Barcelona at the start of June. It's lovely and cool for the high summer temperatures and I've worn it three times so far, and each time it's magically brought out the purple in other people.

Now, I'm not the most observant of people. I've walked past people I've known for years in the street because if I don't expect to see them, then I simply don't see them. All too often I inhabit a world of my own when I'm out and about and the rest of the world just floats on by. Unless I'm wearing my purple shirt.

I noticed the effect first of all in Barcelona - when I wore the shirt loads of other people seemed to be wearing purple as well. Then I wore it to the Elephant Parade a few weeks ago and, again, it brought out the purple people. Then, this week, I wore it to see Macy Gray on Tuesday (since she wore a purple suit the last time I saw her play live). When I arrived at work two other people working on either side of me were wearing purple; I went to another floor for a meeting and during the meeting two people walked past the glass walls in purple; I go to lunch and as I walk out the front door of my building someone walks on the other side of the road in a purple shirt... I gave up counting at that point. But when we went for pre-Macy nosh at Melati, what should I notice but that the walls were painted purple...

Does this kind of thing happen to anyone else? Or does my purple shirt have some kind of special purple power?

No comments: