Monday 10 May 2010

Would You Buy A Used Continent...?

You know how memory works, how a sight or a smell or a sound can transport you back in time? For me, last week it was Cushie Butterfield (see the post below) and tonight it is Buffy Sainte-Marie on the cover of the New Musical Express from 1976 (see the eBay advert).

I used to buy the NME in 1976 (along with the occasional Sounds and Melody Maker, but mainly the eNeMEy) but I don't recall Buffy being on the cover which suggests that this was before I discovered her on a BBC2 programme about her songs. When I talk about discovering Buffy I usually say it was in 1975 or 1976, so this cover helps me identify it as 1976. I suspect the interview coincided with the release of 'Sweet America'.

I might not remember the cover or the article, but I do remember the headline, 'Would You Buy A Used Continent From This Woman?' and that's what caused my non-LSD-induced flashback. Perhaps reading the article made me want to watch the BBC2 programme? Who knows? But I *like* the photo.

Should I bid?

No comments: