Monday 24 May 2010

Ten Years After

I can't let this weekend pass without comment. No, not football or theatre or gigs, two things far more personal to me.

Ten years ago this weekend I gave up smoking. I was a natural smoker, going from none to 20 a day almost instantly, and then increasing from there. I was probably on about 30 a day when I gave up on 22 May 2000.

I remember it well since that's the day I was admitted to Atkinson Morley Hospital in Wimbledon and had my last cigarette after dinner at about 6pm the night before my operation. That was the first night I'd spent in hospital since I was born and was my first surgery, a microdiscectomy for a slipped disc. I've since had another two operations on the slipped disc and another operation on my stomach. I see all of this as a sign of age rather than a badge of honour.

Still, ten years, eh?

No comments: