Friday 21 May 2010

Bits n Bobs n Thom - Half Full

My mind has been elsewhere for the last couple of weeks and I've not been keeping up to date with my blogging duties, for which many apologies. Not that you've noticed. So I thought I'd bung a load of random stuff into a Plastic Bag half-full blog and clear my conscience.

Sandi Thom - 'Merchants and Thieves'

Sandi's new album is doing well and being touted as a blues album which seems to be important to her. I just like having new Sandi songs and a new record to listen to.

I came across Sandi via a Google alert for Buffy Sainte-Marie when a reviewer likened her voice to Buffy's (there's little comparison really) and I sought out the song 'I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker'. I liked it and went to see her at Islington Academy Bar, just Sandi with a bloke on guitar and another tub-thumping. A month or two later she got to No1 in the pop chart with the song and, later, I saw her at Bush Hall. I've not managed to see her since then but still follow her with interest.

I like the songs on the new album, well crafted and well played with a full band and a full sound. I'd only categorise a couple of the songs as 'real' 'blues', so don't let that put you off. A few of them sound like they could've been recorded in her first flush of success and are in the same vein as 'No More Heroes', her cover of the old Stranglers hit.

The only downside is the cover of the record - I don't like this anorexic Sandi look and it doesn't look like her at all. In any case, buy the CD or download it - there are some great tunes on it.

Punk Cabaret Ragamuffins

If you're a fan or friend of Mr Brian Viglione on Facebook you'll have seen that he's been posting the most marvellous photos of The Dresden Dolls on his Facebook page. I know one needs to look forward and not backwards but I miss the Dolls and that weird energy and love they created through plonking on a keyboard and thumping on a drum. Miss Amanda Palmer referred to Mr Viglione in a tweet today and, coincidentally, Brian posted some new photos of her on Facebook. Here's one of my favourites:

Brian also says he's playing on seven - count 'em *seven* - albums due to be released later this year, including one by Margaret Cho. Margaret compered the Roundhouse shows by The Dolls a few years ago and I have a great photo of her with a fake penis. Some people around me at the time thought it was real. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing some thump-thump-tish from Mr Viglione. It's been a while.

Andy Scott

If anyone says 'who?' I'll have to shake my fist at you! Andy Scott is the guitarist with The Sweet in the '70s and one of the Great Glam Gods. Of course, he's gone on to do lots since then and still tours with his own version of The Sweet. He also recorded and produced Suzi Quatro's excellent last album, 'Back To The Drive'.

I never had the joy of seeing Sweet back in the day (to my everlasting shame) but I think I saw Andy just before Christmas. I *think* he was sitting at the end of my row of seats in the stalls at Hammersmith Apollo when I went to see Ray Davies. I hummed and haa-ed, should I shouldn't I go over to say hello, and by the time I'd decided 'yes', on came Mr Davies.

Anyway, I mention Mr Scott because I found a new site of his last week and the video for 'Kruggerands', the only solo single of his available for general download on iTunes. Take a browse round his site and you'll see he's released loads of music over the past three decades (including a version of 'Gotta See Jane' by R. Dean Taylor) but it's not available to buy. Someone should sort out the licensing and release it all as a double cd (are you reading this Cherry Red Records?).

I also found this fabulously awful mid-80s video for his single 'Krugerrands'. Andy with (relatively) short hair doesn't look right but enjoy the song!

No comments: