Thursday 4 February 2010

Alex Harvey - 4 February

I logged onto MySpace this evening to see what's happening to find a few messages from the Sensational Alex Harvey Band reminding us that it was today, 4 February in 1982, that Alex left us, on the eave of his 47th birthday. I've blogged about Alex a few times and make no apology for blogging again.

SAHB posted a link to a video of Hugh McKenna playing 'Anthem' on keyboards, the same version he played at Alex's funeral 28 years ago. I prefer hearing Alex sing that marvellous song so I've posted the video of a live performance of 'Anthem' below.

I count myself lucky to have seen SAHB play live in 1973 - the first band I ever saw play live - and regret not seeing them on their subsequent tours. But Alex is still part of my life in lots of ways. I will see 'Hair' next week in New York and Alex was one of the original 'Hairband' in the late '60s. I was delighted to track down the CD of the Hairband album 'Hair Rave-Up' a year or two ago, with Alex playing guitar on all tracks and singing lead on most songs.

I will raise a JD & coke to Alex in the half-time of 'Hair' next week. I think he'd approve.

No comments: