Tuesday 24 November 2009

Christmas on Carnaby Street

Call me potty, but I enjoy public Christmas decorations, or, rather, I enjoy *good* public Christmas decorations. In recent years I've learned to use Carnaby Street as a measure of excellence - whoever does the decorations in and around Carnaby Street has continued to thrill and generate wonder with the originality of the decorations at Christmas and, thankfully, this year is no different.

I've only got a couple of photos from when I took a short-cut from Regents Street to HMV on Oxford Street last night and these don't convey the fun of the street, so I clearly need to go back with a camera rather than just my phone.

I have a theory about the theme this year - it's a history of Carnaby Street since the '60s. There are the 'love hearts' from the peace and love and total swingingness of the street in the '60s and then there are the small plastic colourful Christmas trees hanging down everywhere and the great big blow-up pink reindeer from the late '70s and '80s when the street was full of tacky tourist shops selling, um, tacky tat. No doubt there'll me more motifs further down the street that I didn't see. I love it!

I couldn't help but break into a big grin when I saw Pinky The Reindeer, ever so proud that he's made of plastic, and I wouldn't have him any other way. He's obviously the patron saint of Christmas tat and I must worship. I need to go back with my camera one evening and take some proper photos to show the street in all its Christmas glory. Regent Street? Hang your head in shame.

Whoever you are that designed the decorations this year, thanks v much!

1 comment:

David said...

As much as I loathe Xmas I have to say Carnaby St always puts on a good show.