Tuesday 17 November 2009

The Art On Your Wall

Did you see a really good programme from Sue Perkins last night, 'The Art On Your Wall'? I only caught the last few minutes of it so watched the full programme tonight on the BBC iPlayer. I like Sue and will generally watch things she's involved in and this proved to be no different, a thoughtful piece laced through with wit and humour.

The programme was about the kind of things we hang on our walls across the decades from the '60s onwards and the rise of poster shops and the sale of art in places like IKEA. It was interesting to hear about some of the iconic images of past 50 years, such as the woman tennis player touching her naked bum, but also those people who chose to go down an alternative route.

I think I'm one of the latter. Looking round my living room I have one painting that might be considered 'ordinary' - a 10"x10" frame with four watercolours of butterflies. It's all about colour and shape, I bought it years ago from John Lewis and I love it. Everything else on my walls is original.

I have a piece of papyrus I bought in Cairo in the '80s, hand printed batik from Bali in Indonesia in the '90s and a poster signed by Buffy Sainte-Marie in the '00s. I have a painting of the Barong I bought in Udun in Bali, a graphic horoscope in Mayan symbols from Mexico and paintings on silk I bought in Sri Lanka. I like being surrounded by unusual things.

Take a look at your own walls.

No comments: