Monday 26 January 2009

Taping Records

I had a fun-filled Sunday taping records. I don't know what you call it when you digitise vinyl, so I think of it as taping (yes, I'm old). I got one of those USB turntables a couple of years ago and did lots of taping of the records I had and then forgot about it. I created 'The Complete Jane Aire & The Belvederes' and then proudly blogged about it. After visiting my Dad's house last summer I rescued a small number of records, mainly 45rpm singles from way back when, that deserved to be heard again. Chris brought a load of his old 45s as well and we set about pretending to be engineer and producer in our own little studio.

Zipper - 'The Life Of Riley'

Does anyone remember the fantastically bouncey 'Life Of Riley' by Zipper? I found them in 1979 when I lived in Cardiff although I can't remember how I came across them, maybe through a gig or perhaps just hearing it in a record shop. I liked it and played it lots, a nice slice of punky-pop. The 'B' side was 'Treat Me Right' which is a bit more standard '70s pub-rock, a bit like Dr Feelgood (if you're old enough or well-listened enough to know who they were).

Lori & The Chameleons - 'Touch'

I don't know anything about Lori & The Chameleons (but they have a Last.fm page if you're interested). Another single from 1979 very experimental electronica that I assume I heard on the John Peel show at some point since I can't see it being played anywhere else. Lori talks over a backing track of electronic twiddlings which entranced me at the time. The 'B' side is 'Love On The Ganges' which, before I played it yesterday, I had assumed was the track I liked for some reason. It has a jazzy sound to it, almost electronica-jazz in a way. I think I like the title more than the song itself.

Alela Diane - 'Songs Whistled Through White Teeth'

Three years ago Alela Diane released a six-track 10" vinyl EP which hasn't been released digitally (and I don't suppose it will be). I tracked it down and bought it last year and finally taped it yesterday. Three of the tracks are available digitally but it was nice to finally hear them in a more raw form while Alela was learning her art. The other three tracks also make for interesting listening. Alela's second album is released in a few weeks time so that's something to look forward to.

There's a few for you. It's great discovering old music that you haven't heard for a couple of decades or so and isn't availble (as far as I know) digitally.

I also have my original 'Spiral Scratch' by the Buzzcocks, 'Teenage Kicks' EP by the Undertones and 'Public Image' by Public Image Ltd including the newsprint page that was stuffed in the cover along with the single. I've yet to re-hear 'The Cowboy Song' (the 'B' side to 'Public Image') but I recall it was a nonsense. Let's see if I still think that with the passing of 30 years ...

No comments: