Saturday 10 January 2009

Indy Wins

I missed seeing all the blockbusters on the big screen over the summer so have been catching up on DVD, with Christmas delivering a final haul of DVDs. So here's my five minute review:

Iron Man - I liked it and I think I'll like the sequel even more. As usual with 'first' films, a lot of it is back story and set-up but enjoyable nonetheless. I liked the scene where he learns to fly by trial and error. Thumb up.

Hancock - I liked the superhero, special effects bit of this but got a bit lost by the 'ancient gods/lost memory' thing. Will does good pouting. Thumb wavering.

Narnia - Prince Caspian - I always knew tube trains could take you somewhere exciting and in this film they're a portal to Narnia. Big battle scenes, strange talking creatures, kids as heroes and a big furry lion all spell success. Thumb up.

The Mummy - Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor - great fun, good adventure sequences but it didn't quite grab me. Jet Li wasn't really used very well and Brendan Fraser looks like he's had 'work' done. I'll be happy to see it again but it was a bit disappointing. Thumb wavering.

Indiana Jones And the Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull - mega-wow! This is a blockbuster to be proud of, a solid adventure film with hints and direct references back to the earlier films in the series. And special kudos to Karen Allen for reprising her role as Marion and finally getting her man. Indy is definitely showing the mileage but it would look wrong if he didn't, so well done to Mr Ford. Indy is the master of the extended, indeed lengthy, action scene, where the excitement keeps building and building. I loved it. Two thumbs up. I look forward to the next one!

No comments: