Sunday 4 January 2009

Progressive

Somehow or other (and I'm really not sure how) I caught the new BBC documentary about "progressive rock" or Prog Rock Britannia. I wasn't really paying attention but thought, 'I remember that, let's see what it's all about'. Big mistake.

This is what the punk wars were all about and I'm relieved I came down on the side of good common sense way back in the '70s, spiked up my hair and narrowed my jeans. All the documentary served to do was remind me how hideous these bands were, self-indulgent twaddle by nice middle class men for nice middle class boys. Thank God for the Pistols, Siouxsie, X-Ray Spex, the Ramones, Patti Smith, Blondie and all the rest.

What is interesting is that, even as I watched, I was importing my fabulous 'Electric '80s' triple CD onto my laptop to transfer onto my iPod (which somehow I've neglected to do). What's more, I was also downloading the 'Best Of' of David Cassidy & The Partridge Family which I'd found on Amazon for £2.98 which is cheap at half the price for the songs I fancied - happy, smiling pop music.

It struck me as odd that I had these three different musical genres going on in the room at the same time. I'm complex, me.

No comments: