Thursday 9 August 2007

Suzi Quatro 'Unzipped' at Borders

Suzi Quatro's just published her autobiography, 'Unzipped', and is on the promotional trail. This evening was her first stop and I was lucky enough to be there to see her at Borders on Charing Cross Road.

At 6.45pm I was standing outside Borders on the phone to Chris and who should walk past me and go into the shop? Suzi! She actually walks on pavements the same as everyone else (but she has 'people' with her, of course). Wearing jeans and a tailored leather jacket over a tee shirt, she's looking good.

Upstairs in the music section of the shop, a corner is prepared for the talk, with rows of seats and a comfy arm chair at the front for Suzi. I squeeze into a seat just as she comes round to get the ball rolling, maybe 50 or so people seated and standing. She spoke for maybe 15 minutes about why she wrote the book, telling us about her "ego room" of memories in her house, and then took questions for about 25 minutes, including a 5-10 minute monologue about her great hero, Elvis. Then the ritual of signing books.

It was really nice seeing Suzi again so quickly after seeing her at Wimbledon, and I told her I enjoyed seeing her there. She's been at this game a long time but it means a lot to people like me to see a true star from yesteryear and the great thing is that she's still playing live and recording new material and not stuck in nostalgia-ville. I'm looking forward to a good read...

No comments: