Monday 13 August 2007

Phone Photos

I *like* my new phone. Mobile phones seem to either go down the route of having music as the secondary characteristic or a camera. I love my iPod and I like the idea of always having a camera with me, so I'm going down the camera route.

My latest phone is a Sony Ericsson that includes a 3.2 megapixel camera. It has lots of functions, a fantastic zoom and a great flash. The main drawback is the delay between pressing the button and the shutter taking the photo, which means it doesn't really capture motion. But I love it anyway and here are some of the photos I've taken in the past week:

Big Ben on my way to work walking over Westminster Bridge (yes, I know I was late... and I know Ben is the bell...). Sometimes I think I'm so lucky to work in the centre of London with the west entrance to Westminster Abbey a mere hundred yards from my building.

Parliament overlooking the Thames. I like the way the focus blurs the further away the building, a nice effect that was a total accident.
The South Bank Lion always looks so sad to me. He's perched at the southern end of Westminster Bridge and looks south-west.
St Paul's Cathedral in the distance from the promenade outside the National Theatre. It's scenes like this that make me love London.

The entrance to St Leonard's Church in the centre of Streatham. There's been a church on this site for over one thousand years and this is just the latest building which has suffered from some rather bad renovations. Within a hundred yards or so of the church is an Islamic Centre, a Catholic church, a synagogue, several pubs, a betting shop, a sauna, two Chinese medicine shops, a Christian bookshop ... all life is here.The grave-yard at St Leonard's. It's surprising how peaceful it is and yet it's merely yards from the hustle of the busy High Road (you can see a red double-decker bus through the screen of trees and bushes at bottom right).The park cafe under the trees on Tooting Common. The Common is a haven of peace surrounded by the bustle of south-west London and it's surprisingly big and spread out. I had a nice stroll round the Common and it was full of mothers and babies enjoying the afternoon sunshine. I liked these pollarded trees along one of the paths on the Common .
This was quite poignant. On several of the paths are various benches with small plaques dedicated to the memory of local people who have died. In the centre of this bench is a small boquet of flowers tied with string under the plaque. It isn't a recent dedication, so someone has a long memory and fondness for the departed.The pond in the middle of the Common. It was renovated a few years ago, the banks shored up and new pathways paved around the water so that people could get closer and walk round it in safety. The ducks were feeding while I was there and the white blob on the left and the paler shape on the right are a pair of swans. The oddity of Westminster Cathedral at Victoria. There was some kind of gathering going on in the plaza at the front. It's quite nice inside and at Christmas you can see huge trees lit with candles from the doorway. The colours haven't quite come out in the photo, but I was struck by the fresh green of the bamboo leaves against the blue of the afternoon sky. The bamboo was peering above the wall of a garden outside my gym and it caught my eye.

No comments: